We hope you had a great day - we loved spending the day with you and making some yummy food for you too. We are grateful for all that you do for us and for your love and support in everything we go through as a family and individuals.
On the upside I (Heather) decided to make a Strawberry Rhubarb pie to celebrate Father's Day (Joseph loves pies, so I thought why not). I hate making pies, more accurately, I hate making pie crusts and usually just buy the box of rolled up pie crust. But one of the things I wanted to conquer in life was to make a great pie crust (and have it look great too). I've seen pie crusts made in food processors, so I opted for that method (mixing up the dough and getting the right amount of water never worked for me). I used this recipe from Paula Dean and it made an incredibly flaky and yummy crust. Now I'll be a pie making fool! This time I made the mistake of thawing the rhubarb and the pie ended up being more of a pie soup (which Jase thought was hilarious), but hey, the crust came out darn near perfect and that was what I was trying for. Plus, the "soup" makes great syrup for the ice cream!
2 comments:
Heather, I love strawberry rhubarb pie! Where did you get the rhubarb? Do you have a rhubarb bush? If so, do you have enough to share? :->
Mary A
Mary,
We have 2 rhubarb plants that we started last year. Since this was the first year picking, we didn't get a ton, and they have already flowered and went to seed. Hopefully we will get lots more next year!
Last year I got some from the farmer's market on a Saturday, but I think it may be running late into the season for rhubarb with the temps as high as they've been...
Post a Comment